Today's unschooling math brought to you by some (not) back to school shopping!
Helena didn't need much for fall as most of her stuff still fits and she gets some pretty awesome hand-me-downs from my mom's neighbor, in addition to whatever I've already bought her. Still, we'd just gotten rid of almost every pair of jeans she owned (a blue polka dot and an orange pair still fit lol) along with a bag of other clothing. So a bit of shopping was in order!
And since life and learning are all mixed up together for us, it was a great way to practice percents and decimals and more. How much are these incredible Doc Martins at DSW? The Uggs - which she unfortunately couldn't fit her high arches into - were 70% off and only $27! The Docs, on the other hand, were only 30% off and still sporting a final price that was too high for mama to justify for growing feet. What about the shirt at Old Navy that was 40% off? And these sweats (all around $10) at Abercrombie? What's going to be the total if we get all of it? Some quick rounding and math in the head ensued.
Now she's plotting and scheming how she can come up with enough to afford about half of the Docs if I pay the other half. I offered her the growing bottle return collection, courtesy of my kombucha addiction, so she's out adding up the price of their return.
We also do about 2 math problems per day on paper. Today I asked her to compare prices of yoga classes and find out if a student discount, class card bulk purchase, or 10% discount off full price classes were a better deal.